Thursday, July 16, 2009

Audio Waveforms Not Displaying



There's a long standing bug in FCP where the audio waveforms don't show up in the timeline. There are many threads on this at Apple's discussion board like this one and this one.

I've experienced this bug in version 6.0.6 of FCP and previous ones on my current and earlier different hardware. The only thing that seems to help occasionally when I encounter this bug is to zoom in or out on the timeline and then scrub the timeline so the clips move out of view and then back in. But even this only works about 30% of the time.

I suspect the bug has to do with FCP having trouble with some specific types of audio formats or them being slightly off kHZ (which is another post, luckily QT 7.6.x seems to have addressed it). But one of my friends said it's a little endian problem. Who knows? It's an annoying bug nonetheless.

2 comments:

editblog said...

When I've seen this happen deleting the audio waveform cache files fixes it most every time.

Walker Ferox said...

I've tried that too and it does work sometimes but for me it never works reliably enough to consider it a fix. Thanks for the reminder though.